It was four years ago, in February, that my daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis. She had a normal well child check-up, until the doctor said, there was something wrong with her back. The doctor sent us to get x-rays, and it was confirmed. I felt scared, not knowing what will come next.Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine. As the child grows this curvature may increase and require surgery for correction. There are many types of scoliosis. And different types of treatment. My daughter was six years old when she was diagnosed. The doctor said that scoliosis is more common among teenage girls, but that there are cases where younger children have been diagnosed at an earlier age. Which is sometimes better to diagnose it at an earlier age, to be able to obtain better results with treatment. My daughter was sent to get an MRI just to be sure there were no other conditions causing this curvature. The results from the MRI showed that there were no other problems.
The doctor suggested a brace to keep the curvature from getting bigger. She needs to wear this brace most of the day to get better results. The brace will not completely straighten the curve but it will help in not allowing it to grow more and avoiding surgery in the future.
As you can see, this is the type of brace my daughter wears. Is made of hard plastic with foam in the inside. Is custom made according to the type of the curvature. The brace has been effective in many cases if worn properly and for the required time.

Daughter has not been wearing her brace for the required time. She hates it. It's uncomfortable for her. We have tried so many ways to get her to wear it. She co-operates for a few weeks, then she goes back to been rebellious.
It is more possible to keep the curvature from growing if the brace is worn at an age younger than 9 years or less. Once the child enters the growth years of adolesence it is much difficult to get good results.
Daughter gets x-rays every six months to see her progress. The last two appointments had not been good news. Her next appoinment is coming up on Thursday, August 20.
I am praying that her curve does not increase. At every appoinment, I pray for a miracle. Yes, I believe in miracles. I believe that God hears our prayers. It has not happen yet, but I am hopeful it will happen, when the Lord thinks its time.
I never know when her appointments will be. The doctor's nurse calls me when its time for a follow-up,then we schedule an appointment within a week. I wish I had more time ahead of the appointment to pray a novena. Still I will pray the rosary,every day. I know is short notice, but I have faith that prayer is powerful, and when two or more are gathered in his name, God is there. If you can join me in prayer, thank you. I will give you and update of the appointment on Thursday.
Hey, i feel really sad for your daughter...six year old angel going through this is so bad...Ill pray for your daughter...god will do justice, dont worry and dont loose your trust in him...All would be fine, hug your daughter for me...god bless her...
ReplyDeleteHiya; I just wanted to let you know that I have a scoliosis as well; I didn't find out until about 2 years ago when my brother in law took xrays of my whole spine when he was practising on me as a Chiropractic student.
ReplyDeleteI don't know much about it, but apparently I must have had it all my life. And I am OK. x