Thursday, August 20, 2009

Changing Mindsets


This is my Mom's family picture. She is the one on the left side dressed in a pink dress. She is the youngest one of eight children. The younger boy in the picture was adopted by my grandparents. So that made nine children in the family. Of course at that time the older ones where married and had their separate household. Still it was common for families to have more than three children. And they made it with little resources they had.
My mother in-law had also nine children, the youngest one is my husband. My mother had five children. I am the oldest of the five. If I come from a big family , why will I think that two was enough for me? Even in the bible time, women had many children, and there were no hospitals just midwives. So now with science so advanced,who decided we should only have two or three kids at most? Why is society and media so scared of families who are couragous to have more than three children with an income that can only feed a family of four?
My fear was the recovery after a cesarian. I have two children, both were born through cesarian. I was hoping to deliver my children naturally. But my dreams were chattered. The Doctors advised it was necessary to perform a cesarian , because I was not opening enough for a normal birth. The recovery time was hard for me. I could hardly move for the first few days. I thank God for my sister that came to help me when I return home with my first child.
The second time, I was hoping again for a normal birth. But it did not happen. This time, recovery was more painful. When I returned home, no help around the house. My mother took my daughter to stay with her for a few days, but I was home alone with baby and the house chores. So I said to myself, I have a girl and a boy, I do not need more.
The years have gone by, my daughter is ten and son is 7. They both been asking for a baby brother or sister. I get thinking it will be nice to have another baby, then I remember the cesarian. No, I do not think we should have another baby.
Where is my faith in God? He has promised to be there through good times and bad. Why do I fear? Why can't I trust in Him, that everything will be fine. Why do I limit myself to just two? I heard from doctors that you can only have three children through cesarian not more. And also the ones that say that women over 35 should not try to get pregnant. Haven't they heard of Sarah and Elizabeth. They were both in their 80's.
So yesterday, I came upon Jamie's blog, She made me change my mindset. She has had four children through cesarian and she is expecting another one. Why can I not trust God and believe I can bring another child into this world. Why do I limit my family size?
I decided to take this to God in prayer. He has asked me to trust him. He will never allow me to go through more than I can handle. His desire is to prosper us, not to crush us.
Lord Jesus, I trust in You.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful post! I pray that you are blessed with another child quickly!

    Yes, the medical community has a weird view of things. I was 40 when my youngest was born (very near to 41) and my paperwork for the pregnancy said, "geriatric" all over it. GERIATRIC?! Come on, I don't have a foot in the grave!

    I had my first section with that last one. I am not excited to think about another surgical birth and sometimes I struggle with the thought, but then it comes around to: Jesus, I trust in You.

    God bless you, Rosario!

    ReplyDelete