Saturday, August 8, 2009

Family Day


Saturdays are Family Day for us. This summer we started going to the park to rides or bikes or just walk. It is fun because we get to do something as a family. However this past two weeks we have not gone to the park. Only husband and son went to ride their bikes around the block. My daughter and I stayed home. After breakfast, I made sure that all the dishes were washed and kitchen sink was clean. Then I started going through the files in my filing cabinet and purging anything that is no longer needed. I have so many files, that I do not even know why I am holding to so much things.

I have been reading articles about paper clutter and I decided it was time for me to let go of anything that is not useful or necessary for keeping.

I made labels for the hanging files in my filing cabinet. I emptied about twenty hanging folders. Anything that needed to be shred, I quickly shredded. Last year I shredded about two bags of junk mail that I was collecting to shred. This year, I made it a habit to sort mail and shred personal information contained in junk mail or any document that I no longer needed a soon as I went over incoming mail. This elimanates the collection of the to be shred piles. I have the shredder right on top of my recycling bin, ready for use.

This past week I made some changes in my office. You can see pictures in the post home office. I have been wanting to do the files since January, but had not been able to find the time or felt motivated to do this. Yesterday, I started on my project. I have a two drawer filing cabinet, one plastic box and half of another filing crate of files. I was using the crate to sort through the incoming paper because, I did not have any more room in the box or filing cabinet. I need to do a serious purging of files to accomodate this files. Like I said before, I read and article that says that 80% of your paper files are things that are not needed or you forget you have it. I read some more articles to help me determine what to keep and what to let go. And I did it. The top drawer in the filing cabinet is now organized, labeled, and I am able to move files easy. I am happy with the end result so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment