Saturday, August 14, 2010

Liturgy of the Hours

Last year, a good friend, invited me to take theology classes at a Catholic Church.  Why would I want or need Theology classes?  You might question. 

Well, I returned to the Catholic Faith a few years ago.  A long story, you can read on the page above, labeled, This is my Story.  I took the theology classed to get answers, to my many questions and doubts regarding the Roman Catholic Church.

The classes I took this past year were: the Origins of the Bible, a class that teaches why Catholics believe in Mary, and a class on the History of the Catholic Church.

The classes were held once a month.   8:00 AM was the set arrival time.  A short worship time was held before the first class that began at 8:50 AM.  

During the worship time, we will sing worship and praise songs.  Then we will read from the Liturgy of the Hours in Spanish.  The Liturgy of the Hours are Psalms and Hymns, read or chanted.  It is a form of prayer in community, practiced in many monasteries and convents.

The Laudes are prayers for the morning.  And Vespers are prayers for the evening.   It takes about 10-15 minutes to read through the Liturgy of Hours.  I like it, because you start by dedicating your day to God and asking for guidance throughout the day.

In the Evening for the Vespers, you give thanks to God for your day and ask for protection during your sleep.


This month, I incorporated the Liturgy of the Hours into my morning quiet time.  And if I remember in the evening,  before I go to bed I read the Vespers.   This has helped me by guiding my prayers. There is a section for special prayers, one day it might be for family, another day for the Church and its leaders.

The version that I use is in Spanish, used mostly in Mexico, called Liturgia de las Horas del Pueblo.
I heard that there is one version that has four volumes for the year.  My version is just one.  It is divided into four weeks.  Depending on the Liturgical Year's Sunday, you follow that particular week.  Like this week is the XIX week in the Ordinary time.   Which means that I read from the III week, according to the guide in my book. Tonight at Vespers, I begin with the IV week.


Reading the Liturgy of the Hours is not just reserved for monks and nuns.  Nor is it only for Catholics.  There are many Protestants who also read the Liturgy of the Hours.  I was surprised to know this. 

I have been reading the book, The Cloister Walk, by Kathleen Norris.  She is the author of the book Dakota. She was introduced to the Liturgy of the Hours while visiting a Benedictine Monastery. 

I am also reading a book by Thomas Merton on Contemplative Prayer.  Contemplative prayer is a prayer in solitude or in silence.  The Liturgy of the Hours is prayer  in community. Which can also be done individually.  But is recommended to be in community.

You can read more about the liturgy of the hours at the EWTN website. 

Pictures are from my garden. 

1 comment:

  1. Rosario, tienes un blog precioso. Estoy segura que todo lo que compartes son pequeñas semillitas que el Señor esta sembrando en otros corazones. Gracias por compartir la historia de tu camino de vuelta a la Iglesia Católica por compartir tu llamado y tu confianza en El, quien todo lo puede y que no deja de buscar acercarnos mas a El.
    Un abrazo fuerte.

    ReplyDelete