We continue to share our Spiritual practices of Hearing and Listening to God.
This topic has been quite of challenge for me. I love the unique ways the other bloggers write their posts. I want to also do the same. But then I thought, why? Is it necessary to be stylish in my writings. Or is it more important to be simple and just speak from your heart. Not that being extravagant in your posts means is not coming from your heart, please do not take me wrong.
I just mean, that for me is just easier to write simple, since I am no professional writer.
Last night, I took out a book from the bookshelf. One that I purchase years ago but never read. The book is written by Joyce Meyer, one of my favorite Christian authors. She is a very unique speaker. I first got to know about Joyce, back in the days when I was a TV Christian.
You can read about my call to Christianiy by going to the top tab of this blog, labeled, This is my Story.
For many years, I was churchless. I will watch Christian programs on TV and one of my favorite came to be "Life in the Word". Joyce Meyer, is an inpiring woman. The bottom shelf of my bookcase holds most of her books. But to be honest, I have only read about three or four of them. What I liked better, was to purchase her audio cassette's and I will listen to them over and over. Then I became a partner with her ministry. And each month, I will receive a different message in audio cassette.
Getting back to the book, I was refering to at the beginning. The title, How to Hear From God. I began reading a few pages, to get and idea on what to write for this post. It was very late, and I began to get sleepy. I decided to continue reading in the morning.
I went to sleep at 12 AM. Two hours later, I was awaken by the loud barking of my pet chihuahua. I got up from my bed, and looked out the windows. Sometimes there are cats that wander close to the house and our dog, barks at them. But I just did not see anything. Our dog kept barking. I got a little concerned. What is wrong with her.
Sometimes dogs help to warn us about things. She is a very alert listener. Every night when my brother comes in from his job, the dog will hear him, and barks. But last night, my brother was spending the night at our parents house. I am not sure what was wrong with my pet, but once I went back to bed, and relaxed, the dog stoped barking.
Many times when this happens to me at night, that I am awaken with no reason. It makes me think that perhaps God is trying to warn me about something. Perhaps, God is calling me to pray. But why, in the middle of the night? My flesh does not understand. But my spirit does. God's timing, is not our timing.
I grope for my rosary and might even pray a few decades than fall asleep. I do not think this makes God happy. We have to be alert, ready to hear his voice and obey.
Often we are so busy with our daily activities that we are not alert of God's voice. That is why is so important to take some time and just be still. It is easier to hear God's voice when we are still.
It takes determination and discipline to set aside this time for God.
It had been weeks, that I immediately go straight to computer, begin reading blogs and checking emails, making aside my quiet time with God. Once again, I have to remember, that quiet time with God is essential.
God has called everyone of us, to a personal relationship with him. It is from there that we can guide our every day steps. We draw strenght from our time in prayer and from reading his word.
Once again, I make it a priority to sit down and read the scriptures, meditate on what I have read, write down in my journal, what I hear God speaking to me. And then I sit still, waiting for any other instructions from God.
I do not get a message from the readings every day. But I might later in the day or week, read something in a blog or hear a message on a TV program, that relates to that particular reading.
The most important thing to remember in Hearing and Listening to God is to have that quiet time with him. It is essential. We might be called to be leaders in a church, but without that personal relationship with God our work is meaningless.
Now join me at Holy Experience to read what others are sharing in their Spiritual Practice of Listening and Hearing God.

Yes, Rosario, that quiet time with Him is essential for me to hear Him. When I spend that time with Him, it trains me to hear Him at all times, even in the middle of a crowd or when I can't be quiet before Him because of the loudness of the world.
ReplyDeleteI have told you before--I love your style of writing which is crisp and clear, from the heart and full of humility.
Thanks for your sweet, Godly spirit.
Love,
Dianne
I am so happy to have you as a follower on my blog! I love Joyce too...she is such a down to earth teacher...easy to understand, real! That's what is good about you too!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
http://www.justfollowingjesus.com