What is contemplative prayer?
The Cathocism of the Catholic church in section 2709 says,
2709 What is contemplative prayer? St. Teresa answers: "Contemplative prayer [oracion mental] in my opinion is nothing else than a close sharing between friends; it means taking time frequently to be alone with him who we know loves us."6 Contemplative prayer seeks him "whom my soul loves."7 It is Jesus, and in him, the Father. We seek him, because to desire him is always the beginning of love, and we seek him in that pure faith which causes us to be born of him and to live in him. In this inner prayer we can still meditate, but our attention is fixed on the Lord himself.
To read more on contemplative prayer go here.
I had been reading a book on contemplative prayer written by Thomas Merton. In this book, Merton explains the type of contemplative prayer that monks practice. He also mentions that this topic is not just for monks or nuns. Anyone who is Christian should at what time be interested in contemplative prayer and if possible set aside some time to spend in contemplative prayer.
I personally, try my best to spend at least 15 minutes each day, but lately, I do not even get to that. I get so busy with other things, that I push aside my quiet time with God.
I feel bad. Because I know that intead of sitting in front of computer for hours, I could be spending some time in prayer.
This morning, after preparing my husband's lunch for work, I went back to bed. I wanted to take a morning nap before beginning my day. I loose my sleep often every night. In the morning I wake up, feeling restless.
Instead of going back to sleep this morning, I switched the channel on TV to EWTN. Husband had left TV on, when he left to work. On EWTN, the morning Mass was being broadcast, it was about to end. So I continued watching to see the next program. Which was Father Grochel's program. His topic for the show was contemplative prayer. He had two guest on the show. Two religious sisters, who shared their view on contemplative prayer and how they incorparate it into their daily activities.
I was once again reminded about Thomas Merton's book, the one I started and never finished. After the show ended, I looked for the book and read another chapter.
I also took out my prayer journal and wrote down, " I will try to, first thing in the morning spend at least one hour reading the daily readings and in contemplative prayer. And read one chapter of Thomas Merton's book."
Once I finish this book, I have two more books I need to finish. The Story of a Soul, St. Therese's story, and Dark Night, a book by St. John of the Cross.
I have lots of books on my bookshelves, that I have never read. I hope that I get to read some of them soon. One in particular is, Confessions of St. Agustin.
I know that if I manage my time well, and follow my schedule as I should, I can have time to pray, read books, and do other fun and educational activities with my children.
Summer will soon be over, and I hope, that I will be able to accomplish the goals, that I have yet not accomplished.
Rosario, you will NEVER regret the time you spend in contemplative prayer or bible study or reading excellent books.
ReplyDeleteYou will also never regret the time you spend with friend and family.
I love an organized and clean house but looking back I wish I had spent less time on dusting, cleaning baseboards, etc.
This was a great post and inspired me to spend more time in my contemplative prayer. Thank you for your genuine spirit, Rosario. I enjoy your writings so very much. You are a gift and a treasure to me. Love, Dianne