A few months ago my sister who is 28 years old, started talking about the twilight series and how she was hooked on reading the books. I have not read the books. But have heard comments from other readers. Today I was shocked to see my daughter who is 10 years old with the book in her hand. She got it from the school's library. What?! I thought this was a book for older teenagers. So I got online and looked for reviews. Indeed, this is a book geared for older teenagers, perhaps college girls. But as a Catholic mom who wants to raise her kids with good moral values, I think I should do something about it.
I spoke with my sister, who said definately not to allow my daughter to read it. Yes, I have already taken the book away. The problem is that since she is a quick reader. By the time I searched for reviews, she had already read four chapters.
Now what should I do concerning the school. Should I let the principal know my concerns. Or shoul I only talk with the librarian. This book should not be at an elemantary. If they have permited this book, who knows what other books they have that are not age appropiate.
I welcome your comments regarding this post.
That is a tough one. Have you decided what to do?
ReplyDeleteI am sorry I don't remember... do your kids go to public school? The nature of the battle will be determined by whether this is a parochial or public school, I think.
It is usually best, though, in my opinion, to start at the bottom and work your way up... the Librarian first and if you find no resolution, then go to the Principal. Even if you don't succeed in getting these books off of the shelf, they will know that there are parents who are quite concerned about whether or not they are making appropriate choices for the age of the children they serve.
My oldest daughter has read these books. I know she would not recommend them for a 10 year old, but she would also reassure you that the first 4 chapters of the very first book are less problematic than the rest of the book and particularly the rest of the series. Of course, you should not allow it, but you should not fret too much, either.
Vampires are "all the rage" in kids books (adults, too, I think!). There is a book titled "Teddy Gyros", written by Michael Sortino, that is a good Catholic book with good values. She might enjoy that and it is more age appropriate to be sure. You can visit the author's site to purchase this book. http://www.sortinomedia.com/ (amazon has it, too, but the cost is the same, so I chose to support the author directly... and he'll sign the book for you, too!) It has been my experience that when something is forbidden to my children that it is good to offer an alternative when I can. The Teddy book isn't as "cool" as the Twilight series, but it will allow your daughter to read a vampire book without all the concerns the others will bring.