Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Encouraging good habits


How do you teach your children to keep their room, clean and organize. I have tried many ways to encourage my children to keep their rooms clean and organized. I have provided a home for everything they own. Clothes, shoes, toys, books and other things always end up on the floor.
I keep reapeating, put things back, before you take another toy out. Pick up your clothes, place in hamper or hang up if is still clean. I made labels for their drawers and toy boxes, so they know where things go. I made it easier for them to reach their clothes. So how does a room get like this. A total nightmare. But I told them, is not fair that you make the mess, and I have to clean it.

So on Saturday, I helped my son clean his room. I told him, start with your toys. Place them in their box. If they do not have a box or they belong elsewhere place them in this laundry basket for now. I had three laundry baskets, one with a plastic bag for trash. One for items no longer needed, and one for items belonging elsewhere. While he picked up the toys, I organized his drawers. Then I organized the bookshelf.

After, all the toys, clothes, books, and trash had been picked up from the floor, I vacuumed, moved the bed away from the wall, to make it easier for him to make his bed each morning. And here are the after pictures of our teamwork effort.







Right next to the door, I place a plastic clear box for his backpack and library books. I also placed a yellow envelope on the wall for his homework packet. So that we always know where his homework is and where to get from when is due on Thursday. The toys are in their clear boxes. The boxes are labeled with a picture of the type of toy in them. We made rules for his room, that he need to follow. The House Fairy will come home to inspect his room each day. And if its clean, and rules have been followed, he will get a sticker on his chore chart and a surprise. So far this has worked since Saturday. He is seven years old, and very happy to have gotten a visit from the house fairy, she even left a white feather from her wings.

Now Daughter room, is another story. To be continued tomorrow. You can also read this post I did last month about my daughter's room.



No comments:

Post a Comment