Love is patient, love is kind,
It does not envy , it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
All things come and go but faith, hope and love, always remain.
And the greatest of these is Love.
Without Love we are nothing.
How awesome and beautiful are the words in this chapter of the first letter to the Corinthians. We always hear this scripture at weddings. I chose it as one of the readings on my wedding day. Is beautiful, but do we really pay close attention to what it says. What is God telling us, through Paul here in this verses. I have read this passage many times. But today, it had more meaning to me. I have been asking God to talk to me through his word, to show me his will for my life. And today as I read this I understood what Love is.
Love is Patient. How many times have I been inpatient with my children, with my husband. Do I love them, Yes, I do! Then, I should be patient. Right?
Love is not quick-tempered. I loose control of my emotions often. And it does not make me look good to my children or husband. Who is this woman who reads her bible all the time and goes to church, look at her getting all mad and screaming as loud as she can?
Love always protect, always trusts, always hope, always perseveres. We protect our home from the thief who comes only to steal and kill and destroy(John 10:10)
We trust that God will be our protector, our provider, our healer.
We hope and persevere to the end.
I have been married for 12 years and six month. Quite a long time considering that most of my other friends and relatives have not made it that far. So what keeps me here? My faith, my trust in God. So I ask God what is missing in other peoples marriages. Why are they ending in divorce? Is it Love? Did they stoped being patient, hoping, persevering? They gave up. Is sad to hear when friends and family end their marriage in divorce. Specially when they have children. My heart goes to the children. To have their parents separate is shocking to a child. Yes, there are times that is necessary for a separation, if there is physical abuse or a life threating situation involved. But is divorce the will of God?
I cry out to God. Lord what is your will in this situation. Help this couple know your will. Let them see the pain they will cause their children, let them see the pain they are causing each other, with their words and actions.
Yesterday, as we were entering the driveway, a couple that live across the street, was arguing and screaming at each other. I prayed. Lord help them. When we were inside the house. My son said, " Mom is true that some Father's are very mean." It broke my heart to hear my son say that. But how many times, have I done the same? I felt ashamed. I too, have argued with my husband, and many times in front of the children. How heartbreaking to them.
My parents were divorced when I was a young child. I know what it is to not have a Father figure there in your life for so many years. I do not want that for my children. Lord, please help me to be more kind, more understanding, more patient with my husband. Help me to not loose control of my emotions. Help us to deal with our problems in a quiet way, and not scream and shout in front of our children.
Love is not selfish. And Lord, I pray for those marriages that have lost all faith, all hope, and all Love. Lord may your will be done in their lives too. May they renew what is lost. I pray in your Holy name Jesus, Lord hear my prayer, Amen.
I think (since you asked!!;) ) that your post was right on!
ReplyDeleteI also am a product of divorce. It hurt my heart to the core and caused a lot of damage to my soul. Lets just say I am lucky to be alive.
My dh and I said our vows on the crucifix like the do in Medujorie (sp) and I do not know why but I love this man so much we never fight. Really!! I pray to St. Joseph and Our Lady and imagine their family life. Lots of struggles and sacrifice but always LOVE. Always love. Love till it hurts. Offer so much up and true love will blossom. Evil wants to destroy so many families. Look around and see the fruits of no sacrifice. No prayer. No love. Peace in a family will bring many fruits. Kiss and love the kids a ton. Correct their behavior yes but with stern and loving words. Never shout. Never yell. It doesnt work anyways.
Blessings to you and your family.
Hi Rosario!
ReplyDeleteMy son was reciting these verses to me tonight for his Bible class at school. I love your post, Rosario. So, so true. It's easy to say we "love." Truly putting it into practice, sacrificially, day after day is so much more difficult.
We have been married for 18 years ... there are highs and lows. I think so many couples give up during a "low," instead of pushing through to the other side.
Lovely post, Rosario. A very good reminder for all of us.
This chapter was read at our wedding too. It's easy to think about when you're starting out and everything is perfect...much harder to apply in everyday life. Thanks for the reminder that the place where we began (His love) is the place where we can live together always if we'll just stay in the center of it.
ReplyDelete