As a decendant of Mexican parents, I take pride in my culture and teach my children about it. Yesterday, I printed out coloring pages of the Mexican flag, a map of Mexico, and a picture of Father Miguel Idalgo. The Creole priest, who fought for the Independence of Mexico from the Spaniards. I also read to them a short biography of Fr. Miguel Idalgo.
Today, Daughter ( The fashionista girl) wore a headband with the colors of the Mexican flag. For son, we made a pin button with a small paper flag on it. My daughter took the short biography of Fr. Miguel Idalgo to share with her class. At home, we have mexican sarapes(covers) on the living room chairs. I placed the Mexican flag on one of my front windows. On our kitchen table and living room coffee table we have colorful vinyl tablecloths with mexican icons such as, a guitar, a sombrero, cactus, red peppers, and maracas.
My husband was born in Mexico, and he loves spicy food. When I chose a theme for my kitchen, I chose the jalapeno peppers theme. I have plates, glassware, and linen with jalapeno peppers on them.
We speak both Spanish and English at home. My husband does most of the Spanish. And I am bilingual. I know some families that at home they speak only Spanish. I do not have nothing against that, I grew up in such a family. My father said it was disrespectful to my Mother, because she did not understand English for us to communicate in English. The problem was that Mom never learn to speak English. And now she has a hard time communicating with other people who do not speak Spanish. She is getting a little better at it.
I think is very important to not forget your native language, but it is also very important to learn the language spoken in this nation.
I also think it is good to attend Churches that are bilingual and multicultural. We need to have fellowship with other cultures not just your own. Like at my parish. We have English Mass and Spanish Mass seperate. Occasionally, there is a Unity Mass where they ask all parishioners to attend. Very few Hispanics attend. I do not understand why? The parish makes special programs of the mass in various languages so that you can understand what is being said in English at this unity celebrations, so there will be no problem with understanding what is being said. Yet the hispanic community does not attend.
I remember the first time that I took my children to a parish where most of the community was African American. My son did not like the music, he said this is not like our church. I felt so bad, because my child was not open to fellowship with other communities. I decided that I will try to attend Multicultural events, to have my children have fellowship with other brothers and sisters who are not hispanic. I want my children to be nice to all, to have friends that have different cultural background. I told my daughter, that I wanted her to be nice to all the girls in her classroom, no matter if they are African American, White, Asian, or Hispanic. They are all your sisters and brothers in Christ Jesus. Everyone is special to God.
So I am hoping that later today, I will be able to make a cake or cookies, something special for when kids return from school. To continue celebrating this special day for Mexico, remembering our roots.
No comments:
Post a Comment