Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Father

Father's Day is this coming Sunday.  Like Mother's day it is a very important day world wide.  As well as a sad day for many children and adults.

The reason it is a sad day for many is because many of us do not have a father in our life.  Or their father died. 

As a woman, I have always thought that a father is a very important person in the life of a child.

I have said it in previous posts that my parents divorced when I was just four years old. 

My mother was a  single parent for many years.  To raise three daughter's on her own was a challenge.  She had to be both a mother and father because my father was not there for us.

I thank God, our heavenly Father, that he sent an awesome person like my now Dad to my Mom's life.

See any one can be a father, but few can be "Abba" or Daddy.   My step-father has been to us a Dad.  A good man who has been there for us in good times and in bad times.   He was there on our wedding day  to walk us down the isle.

I have never asked my real father, what it means to him, knowing he was not present on his daughter's wedding day.   To be honest,  I was sad.   But  also thankful  my Dad was able to be present and take the place of my real father.

My real father, comes from a dysfunctional home too.  His father left his mother and four young children.  My father never again saw his father alive.  Even after knowing he was alive he never went to see him or forgave him for leaving them.  It is sad that the story repeated. 

But in my case, I have forgiven my father.  My paternal-grandfather did get to meet me and my daughter.   He passed away a year after we met .  He also got to meet two of his  children and grandchildren.

A father's role in a family, is very important because,  he is the head of the family.  Many researches have been made  confirming  that when a Father is active in the life of a child, that child is more likely to succeed academically and socially.

This is why,  I always motivate my husband to be there for his children.  I know that because fathers are the providers for their families, they are busy during the week, but on the weekends they should spend some time with each of their children.  Or do some activity as a family. 

In the first picture at the beginning  of this post, you see my husband and son walking near a water dam in Mexico.  You see him holding on to his hand making sure he is safe.  I am sure my son will always cherish this moment.  As well as the times his father and he, go ride their bikes every weekend .  Having his father take him to get a haircut.  Seeing pictures of his proud dad holding him on the day of his birth.

In the second picture you see my husband next to his daughters.  The one in the middle is our daughter.   The one on the right side is my husband's daughter from a relationship he had before we met.  It is a long story, that I will probably share with you in another post.  The important thing is that my husband is able to be there for his daughters.  Now at this time of age that they need their father to be there.

I know my daughter is looking forward to that day that my husband gives her away on her wedding day.  She  also has many special moments  spent with her dad.  Even the times when he disciplines her are moments to be cherished because he cares for her.  

I am not to sure about our oldest daughter.  Since she lives in Mexico, she only get to see him once in while and speaks to him on the phone very few times.   She is already a teenager.  The most difficult time in a child's life.  I am thankful that she has good foster parents that have cared for her since birth, as their real daughter.  And have permitted my husband to be part of her life.  They have given her a good education, a home, and most importantly love. 

My husband loves his children in very unique ways.  I have never felt jealous in any way of that.   I am happy that he took responsibility for his actions.  And he is  helping in providing a good education for his daughter.  When ever possible, we send her clothes and school supplies.

I am hoping that soon we will be able to communicate with her more often.  Do to the violence in Mexico cities, we have not been able to go to vacations as a family.  We pray that this will get resolved so that we can go to Mexico soon.  Or perhaps this year our oldest daughter can come visit us.  I think this will be much better for us.

I say a prayer today for my own father.  Where ever he is now.  I pray that soon I will get to see him too.  I have not seen my father in 18 years, since the last time I saw him.   I have spoken to him on the phone and know he lives in Utah.  He keeps saying he will come visit me, but I am still waiting.  He has not met his grandchildren in person either.  I hope that he get to do so soon.

For all the Father's in the world, I pray that they realize the importance of their presence in a child's life.  I pray that if they have been distant from their children, may they reconcile this year.  I pray they be the Father that God has called them to be.  And I also say a prayer for foster fathers and step-fathers.  I thank them for having the courage to give hope to a child.

Now visit Holy Experience to read more inspiritional stories in the series of Walking With Him Wednesdays.




holy experience

3 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing, rosario. bless you. e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and your mom is beautiful as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosario, I love the way you write. It is always from the heart and so straightforward. Honesty, with no pretention,--boy, that is a rare commodity nowadays.

    And yes, you are right about everything you posted--the importance of being a real daddy, an abba father.

    I admire you for the way you have accepted and loved your husband's child from a previous relationship. That is the Godly and right thing to do.

    Loving you,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete