Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hooked on knitting

I continue to learn the basics of knitting on my own thanks to youtube. I been looking at the different videos and the different techniques and practicing and practicing. I have paused the prayer shawl project for a while until I get know well what I am doing. I think knitting is easier than crochet once you get it going you just can't stop.

I'm amazed on myself how much I have learn in the last few days. But other work needs to get done here at the house. My son's room is still a nightmare. Toys everywhere, clean clothes all over the floor and this morning he could not find his shoes or backpack.

Daughter's room. Well, you can walk through from the door to her bed. Even though there is also clothes on the floor, barbie doll stuck in one corner. Her closet needs some work too. The problem is the TV. Kids spend to much time on tv. And when I send them to clean their room, the excuse is, " I have to do homework." And on the weekends, they just want to have fun and cleaning a room is boring.

But I have to fight the urge to just go in there and clean those rooms myself. My kids have to learn to keep their rooms clean and learn how to clean them well. Not just pile things in one corner and hide behind a curtain. Or under the bed. Put everything in the closet, close the doors and hope Mom does not find it. Please! When will they learn!

Is frustrating to repeat, over and over, hang it up, put it back as soon as possible. Dirty clothes go in the hamper not on the floor. I sound like a broken record.

If any one has an idea on how to get kids to clean their rooms without being asked and keep them clean, please let me know. I have tried all kinds of things and they work for a while and then become old and boring to my children. Daughter is 11 and son is 7 . Hopefully they will grow out of this before they get to be teenagers.

1 comment:

  1. You can either offer rewards of some sort for doing it or a consequence for not doing it or a combination of both. The most important thing about that is to stick to it. If they can't use the computer/video games/television (or whatever) for NOT cleaning their room, then don't give in until they do (and, of course, if they do it right at bedtime, that is too late. no manipulating mom into a later bedtime!) The rewards don't have to be large or even daily. Perhaps a reward for doing it 7 days in a row, something bigger for 14 and bigger still for 30... something. Anyway, I think some combination of reward for good behavior and consequences for bad is the way to go. If you lay it out, you don't have to even say much. They will know.

    The only other thing I'd add about that is that being a broken record is part of the job description. Kids require it.

    My favorite place for knitting videos is:

    http://knittinghelp.com

    I bought the cd of the videos and I keep it loaded on my ipod and phone so that if I'm ever out and wondering how to do something, I've got it right there.

    ReplyDelete