Today is the feast of the 3 Wise Kings. Most Latin American Countries celebrate this day as it was Christmas Day. More gifts for the children. And the traditional bread of the Kings.
It is a tradition in Mexico, to keep your nativity set on display until February 2, which is the day of the presentation of the Lord. On January 6th, the kings bread, is cut and each member gets a piece. Within the bread there is a small plastic baby that represents Jesus. If you get the baby, you get to host the party on the 2nd of February. That is when the nativity set is put away, and the baby Jesus is sat on a chair and dressed in a dress or outfit of your choice.
I will like to know what traditions you have and remember from your childhood. I remember, that I always got a gift for Christmas and from the 3 Wise kings. Even when I was much older, and still at my Parent's house, I will get money or clothes.
Husband does not care about traditions. I have always been the enthusiastic one, getting everything ready for the celebrations. I wonder what kind of childhood he had. He is the youngest of nine children. Raised in a small town in Mexico.
I was the oldest child of five. I lived in the border city of Juarez. Came to California in 1981. Practically have lived most of my life here in California. I have lots of family here and in Mexico. My Father always wanted us to remember our roots and not forget our Mexican traditions. And we want our children to learn about our ancestors and also about our Mexican traditions. Well, I have to go do my nightime routines. Clean up the kitchen and living room. Before I go to bed and meditate on some prayers, and write in my journal. Good night.
I love the tradition with the King's bread and choosing who hosts the Presentation party! I hope that I will remember that next year and maybe I can cook something up in our homeschool group (neither my husband's family nor mine is at all near to us. We are several states away from all of them.)
ReplyDeleteWe didn't have many traditions growing up, but the few we did have, I have kept (a traditional Christmas eve meal, exchanging Christmas gifts on Christmas eve after Mass being 2 of them.) I hope that we have made some new traditions that our kids love enough to keep going in their families.