A Cloth Doll
When I was a young child, I remember playing with a cloth doll that my Grandmother had. What made the doll interesting to me was that her apron or dress was able to come up to her face and behind it was the face of another ethnic doll. I think it had about three different faces with different dress.
I always wanted to have that doll. When my grandmother passed away, most of her belongings stayed in her house. My aunt who was the actual owner, kept some of the things and some she gave away to relatives. The rest where stored in a room of the house. Later my aunt sold the house to another uncle. My uncle fixed part of the home and has made it into a guest house, since is right next to his house. Most of the furniture is still there. Some has made its way back to our aunt's house here in California.
When I inquired on the doll, no one knew what had happen to it. I have tried searching for an identical doll but I have not been successful. I do not know the name of the doll or who made the doll. Since I have not been able to find a replica, I thought perhaps I can do one doll myself. Of course it will not be the same but it will be made by me, and I will be able to share it with my grandchildren. I have a picture of the original doll, but on the picture you can only see the back part of the doll. So I will have to rely on my memory to make my doll.

My mother had a doll like that. I will try and ask her if she remembers what its official name was. It might make it easier to look for in ebay searches.
ReplyDelete