Today was our first event at the library. The kids got to learn about reptiles and amphibians. A local vivarium showed their amazing little creatures to the children.
Among them many that I am terrified to see. You should had seen me covering my face and just terrified of them.
The creatures shown to the children were: snakes, a tarantula, a scorpion, frogs, a salamander, a gecko, an a giant lizzard. Oh and also some turtles, and a huge tortoise.
When we returned home, I told the kids to write in their journals about their experience. I also went online an searched for other activities that they could do regarding reptiles and amphibians. Thanks to Paper Dali, I was able to find a link to a website that offers good resources for themed lessons.
My kids are not homeschooled, however this summer I wanted to enrich my kids summer by taking them to on a learning adventure. Like I said it on my previous posts, my goal is to keep them away from the TV as much as possible.
As soon as I post this, I am turning off computer and heading to our backyard for some sunlight and have the kids play out there on their bikes or we could play some basket ball together. This will be like our recess time. Then we will come back for some more fun indoor activities. While I prepare dinner and do my home chores.
If you have any ideas for me, please let me know. How do you spend your summer with your kids or grandchildren?

Oh Rosario, I admire you so for spending this quality and quantity time with you children.
ReplyDeleteA great book for you to read aloud to them would be Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. As you progress in the book, you could do science and social studies projects with them.
For instance, when the boy in the book was spearing a fish and he wasn't judging the distance right, I put a pencil in a glass of water and showed taught them about the refraction of light--a very easy experiment but they learn alot.
As you continue reading, you will get your own ideas for expanding their learning. When the pilot has a heart attack, you can study about the heart etc.
Hope this helps a little. If I have any more ideas I will hop back over.
Keep up the great work. Parents like you are awesome to a school teacher.
Love, D.