Saturday, July 31, 2010

Almost August

Tomorrow begins the month of August.  Like I mentioned before we have lots of activities on our schedule this coming month.

Today the last day of July.  We celebrate the day of St. Ignatius of Loyola.  He is the founder of the company of Jesus, the Jesuits. 

Our parish's Priests are Jesuits.  This is why today, there will be a special Mass at noon to celebrate the feast day of St. Ignatius of Loyola.

You will be reading a lot of about the Catholic traditions here on my blog.  I am beginning to savor the richness of my Catholic faith.  I am learning about the life of different people that have left a mark in the Catholic Church.


Since the 16th century Catholic piety has assigned entire months to special devotions. The month of August is traditionally dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The physical heart of Mary is venerated (and not adored as the Sacred Heart of Jesus is) because it is united to her person and is the seat of her love (especially for her divine Son), virtue, and inner life. Such devotion is an incentive to a similar love and virtue. Read More here.

To incorporate this special celebrations in my home, I am using a Feast table.  You might also call it a home shrine.   It has been a tradional aspect in many Catholic homes. 

I began to do this at the beginning of this year.  I got this idea, from my sister who was already using the liturgical colors within her home.  Here is a picture of her home's feast table.




Then one day, I came across this interesting blog, Wildflowers and Marbles.  Jenn has pictures of her feast tables for each month or a particular liturgical season.   She explains in one of her posts the reason for having a feast table within your home. Read her post here.

I liked this scripture posted at Everything Else Thrownin by Dianne.



By wisdom a house is built,
and through understanding it is established;


through knowledge its rooms are filled
with rare and beautiful treasures. Psalm 24:3,4

And that is my purpose to fill my house with lovely treasures of the Catholic faith.

I also plan to incorparate the word of God into my decor.  I already have a few items in English, but I want to find some in Spanish.  So that my Spanish speaking guests can also read the messages on them. 

This idea came from this scripture.


Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.


These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children.


Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.


Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.


Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.
Deut. 6:4-9

I will post picture later of my August feast table, I am going to work on it as soon as I publish this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment