I have been wanting to do a study of virtues with my kids. So far we done, the virture of Condideration from that Resource Site.
Today was our weekly Library day. Daughter and I went to the library. This time I did some research before leaving my house. Glad that I am able to access the library's catolog online. I searched for books that talk about virtues.
Wrote down some interesting titles on a page I had printed a booklist for third graders. I want my son to read, but he will rather do something else than read. Our local library has a summer reading program, for every four hours of reading, a child is rewarded with a small toy. The next four hours, they are given a package of coupons to local restaurants, museums, and children's amusement park.
My daughter already finished her 8 hours of reading. She was also entered in a rafle, she was recently called that she had won something. A roundtrip on a ferryboat for a child and one adult.
We are motivating my son to finish his last four hours, so that he can get his coupons. Then we can all go to this fun places and I only have to pay for myself.
At the libray today, I found three books about virtues. A Plentiful Harvest by Terrie William,
the Book of Love , edited by Andrew M. Greeley and Mary G. Durkin,
and The Rainbow People, by Laurence Yep, a collection of Chinese Folk Stories.
I picked the last book from the childrens section, I plan to read this with my son to get his four hour chart completed. Every 15 minutes of reading, he places a sticker in his summer reading log provided by the library.
The other two books are for my personal reading time. I began with the book titled, A Plentiful Harvest.
I am already starting to enjoy this book. And I will be writing more about it in the next weeks. The book is meant to guide you on a 52 week process towards creating balance and harmony in your life. The author describes seven virtues that have helped her achieve her goals.
The virtues are Calling, Responsibility, Thrift, Love, Community, Spirituality, and Creativity.
I will not give you more information at this time. I have some chores to do and perhaps tomorrow or in the next few day I will write a post. In case I forget or get distracted by another project, please feel free to remind me about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment