Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hearing God's Voice

holy experience
 
 


Every Wednesday, we Walk with Him, posting a spiritual practice that draws us nearer to His Heart.

This week, we are sharing The Spiritual Practice of Listening and Hearing God.

Since last week, I have been thinking on what should I write.  What should I share with you regarding this topic. 

Last week, I shared the parable of the sower. How God speaks to us through his word.  God speaks to us through others, through our Pastor at Church or through another person of Christian Faith.  However we might not be paying attention.  Our mind might be wandering somewhere, thinking of bills to pay, things to do, marriage problems, problems with our kids, or illness in our family.

This things can distract our focus from hearing God voice.  We must learn to keep our focus on what we are reading in God's word.  I often reread the passages over and over.  Even if it takes me a while to finally set aside my distracting thoughts.  I write down in a journal, words that stand out to me. 

When I was attending the Christian church , sometimes I carried with me a notebook or small journal to write down notes.  I was blessed, that the sermons were recorded and I could get a CD and take it home and listen to the CD over and over, each time I got something different.

Now that I attend a Catholic Church, I have not been taking my journal with me.  I guess I forgot how essential it is to take notes.   The readings are in the missal and I can always go back and review them, but how do I remember what the Priest spoke that day. 

I attended a wedding recently.  The Priest spoke beautiful words to the couple. He also addressed the congregation, asking them to pray for the couple.  He told the couple, that when ever they were faced with problems, they should ask family and friends to pray for them. 

This couple had a person recording a video of their wedding ceremony.  They have this as a way of remembering what the Priest said on their wedding day, to remind them of the vows spoken to each other.

I thought, I can't remember what the Priest said on my wedding day.  I went home looking for my wedding video.  The only video I had, only had the reception party.  Wait, I remember I had a video from the church ceremony.  Where is it?  I searched my mother's house.  I found another VHS cassette labeled Rosario's and Rosendo's wedding.  I put the tape in the vcr, and waited to see.  Whoever took this video, skiped the readings, and the priest's homily.   I am glad the marriage vows were recorded. 

What does this have to do with listening and hearing God's word?  I believe God is present at every Eucharist, a wedding ceremony is a celebration taking place in God's presence.  God is joining two people as husband and wife.  God is speaking to the couple through the readings, and through the priest during the homily.  God is also speaking to the guests.   Have you been listening to the words spoken at the weddings and other sacramental celebrations you attend?


The day my daughter made her first communion, I was very focused on the readings and the words of Father John.  During the Eucharist consecration, I was very moved, I felt God's presence there at that moment.  Indiscribable moment.  And I was not the only one to notice this.  My friend Consuelo also mentioned to me later that she had also felt God's presence.

 

Many people say that Catholic Mass is boring.  The same readings, the same songs, the same prayers. I think the difference is, how you see things.  When you are focused on the reality that God is present at every Mass.  Everything has meaning. 

This Sunday's Liturgy, was beutiful.  The readings: Gn 18:20-32, Psalms 137:1-8, Col 12:12:14, and the Gospel of Luke 11:1-13, all spoke about being persistent in prayer.  God answers our prayers.

The responsorial psalm was: Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.

God has many ways of speaking to us,  we just have to be ready to listen.  From now on I will carry my notebook to Mass on Sundays, I do not want to forget what I hear God say to me, I might even share it with you one day.

4 comments:

  1. Not only is our Lord present at the mass, at the consecration all of heaven comes down; the altar is filled with heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Maria, the picture of your daughter taking her first communion is so precious and I can feel God's presence as I read you describing it.

    Everything you say is so true--I taught at a Catholic for several years. Since I am not Catholic, I could not receive communion whenever I took my class to mass,BUT

    one Easter one of the Sisters told me to come down and receive the ashes on my forehead. Where a lot of the teachers I worked with were used to that after doing it for years, it was astounding to me that I had a cross on my forehead--I was visibly marked as a believer, a follower of Jesus, the Christ. I was in awe and in tears almost all day and I watched every word and my actions because I did not want to bring reproach upon the Father--worship is what we make it.

    If we are ready to see, hear and worship, then worship will happen. God will not disappoint.

    Beautiful post.

    Love, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Rosario. Liturgy has a beauty all its own. It sometimes gets discarded in favor of more loosely structured contemporary styles -- which I also like -- but there's something very special about the tradition of liturgy spanning the ages. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm here from Xhonanae's blog. you have a lovely family. A beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete