Friday, March 19, 2010

St. Joseph Feast Day

Click on picture to enlarge

I know my non Catholic friends will think I have gone crazy. Putting up an altar to a Saint. Why do Catholics do this? All over the world and for many years, Catholics have honored Saints and Mary the mother of Jesus with beautiful adorned altars in their homes or in churches. It is a tradition of faith.

Just recently I learned of the tradition to make altars to remember St. Joseph, the chaste spouse of Mary, the mother of Jesus. The origins of the celebration, was long time ago in Sicily, Italy. Farmers will make this altars to St. Joseph and pray for his intercession for a good harvest that year. The food used on the altars they will share with those who where needy.

This is my first year making one. I remember my grandmother will make one for the Child of Atocha. I included Mary and Jesus too. The Holy Family. I am asking for a family blessing. A stronger bond for my family. The conversion of my husband. A deeper relationship with God our Father. And end for the violence in Mexico.

I used some of the ideas from other Catholic Mom blogs. As well as some of my own.


For the sawdust, I used shredded dried shrimp. In Mexico we use the dried shredded shrimp and add it to beated eggs to make fried egg puffs, we serve them with cactus in chile sauce. That is why I also included a jar of cactus. It is said in Mexico that cactus is the meat of the poor. I have some cans of fruit and vegetables, italian pastries, small little fish crackers, red and white wine vinegar. Most of the items I found at 99 cents store. Amazing!!


The jar of cactus is from My Mom's kitchen. She cans, cactus, tomatoes, and jalapenos. She made some apricot jam once too. My talented Mom.


I cut out some fig bars into shapes of a cross, the monstrance, a heart and chalice. In Italy they used bread in different shapes stuffed with fig jam. You can find out more of this tradion at the St. Joseph Altar blog, click here.

If you will like to see the altars of other Catholic Mom's go here.

4 comments:

  1. Love the fig bars you made! Beautiful altar. I love the Mexican culture you included about the cactus etc. I know what you mean about people thinking Catholics are crazy, but all of my readers are Catholic :-) I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about that in Mexico. Isn't everyone Catholic there? Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of the shrimp puffs! And, gold fish crackers. I was trying to think of ways to bring in fish because I certainly didn't want to make the traditional 12 fishes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosario, thank you for sharing your lovely tribute to St. Joseph with us. You have really made your Altar a part of your family by incorporating your heritage. My husband and youngest daughter love dried shrimp. The Egg Puffs would be a big hit here. Viva San Giuseppe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosario,

    You share my grandmother's name...just lovely. Your altar is beautiful and as the daughter of two Mexican immigrants I can so relate to the cactus. You did a great job.

    I shall pray along with you for peace in Mexico.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete