Today we are attending Mass to receive the sign of the cross on our forehead. We beging a season of preparation for Easter. This a time of penance, fasting, and a deeper conversion.
So how do I teach this, to my children?
As a child, I remember that grandmother will not allow us to watch tv or hear the radio on holy days. We will abstain from eating meat on Fridays. But I never quite really comprehended the reason for all of this. Until a few years ago when I returned to the Catholic faith. I finally realized the significance of all the things done in lent. No water in the holy water fountains, the color purple used in the linens of the church. All those thing became more clear know. And I want my children to know the real meaning. I want them to be able to respond to their children when they ask, "why do we do this, and what does it mean for us?"
I thank all those other Catholic Moms who share their ideas for lent. Now I have resources and I think I can give my children a better explanation than what my Mom gave me. "We do this because it is a tradition that has been done for many years." period. No more. ? So I continued participating in a tradition that in reality did not have real meaning to me, until now. Thanks to EWTN, teology classes, and Catholic radio, I am learning so many things about my Catholic faith, and I am finding real meaning to all the traditions and feasts celebrated in the Catholic faith.
Sis, I love it! It looks great, I haven’t been feeling to well and with work, commute and assisting in organizing Jazzy’s room I haven’t change my colors yet. I will make time friday night when hubby and daughter are at choir practice.
ReplyDelete