This week we celebrate St. Patrick and St. Joseph's feast days. This year I decided to make a simple altar. Do to the rainy weather, I have not had the time to go and buy the fig cookies to make the decorations like last year.
You can read last year's post here
The kids get to wear a green shirt on Thursday with their regular uniform clothes. Last year, I made some nice headbands for my daughter to wear on St. Patricks day. You can see that picture at this post.
Does anyone know, how did the tradition came about for wearing green on St. Patricks day? I read in a little devotional, that according to the Irish, they wore green to become invisible to the leprechauns. Leprechauns like to pinch people. Other people say that green is the leprechauns favorite color so they never wear green.
I do not really know who is right. All I know is that since I came to live to California every year at school, you had to wear green or you were pinched by someone. So in order to avoid getting pinched, I wore green. And I am glad that the school allows the kids to wear something green on St. Patrick day to keep with the tradition.
St. Patrick was a priest that became a bishop. He was sent to Ireland to evangelize the people. He used a shamrock to teach them about the Holy Trinity. That's why now you see images of St. Patrick holding a shamrock in his hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment