Sunday, January 23, 2011

Frida Kahlo

I have always been intrigued by the life of Frida Kahlo and her art.  I will say that since my high school years.  I felt very much that I looked like Frida.  The uni-brow look.  I had a book long ago of her life, with colorful pictures.  I'm not sure what happened to the book.  Probably lost in one of the drawers or boxes in my mother's house or garage.

I did keep one clipping from the book,  a portrait of Frida from 1938/1939 taken by the photographer Nickolas Muray.

I love this portrait.  Her hairstyle, and red rebozo make her look elegant.   I always kept this picture in a frame in my home.  And for the traditional "Dia de Muertos", I will add it to the altar de muertos.  I felt she was part of my heritage. 

When I read her biography, I was very moved by her story and the suffering she underwent do to her illness and accidents. 

Recently while shopping at a bookstore, and browsing through different sections of the bookstore for a particular book.  I found this book about Frida and her cooking recipes.
It is quite expensive, beyond what I will normally pay for a book.  But I thought it was worth the investment.  I did get a 20 percent discount with my membership. 

The book was written by the daughter of Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo's husband.  Her name is Guadalupe Rivera and co-author's name is Marie-Pierre Colle.

Guadalupe retells how she met Frida, and she talks about her fiestas and her cooking.  The recipes are divided by months.  She gives a little reference to particular feasts of that month and the pictures in the book are taken at Frida Kahlo's house in Mexico.

I am not a cook,  but it will be great if I try some of these recipes at least once or twice a month.  Then I can let you know how they came out.  Any of my followers that love cooking can also try them and we can share comments about them.

This book is going on display in my kitchen.   My sister loves Diego Rivera's art.  She has some in her office and in her kitchen as well.  She has a curtain made of bamboo with a picture of Frida on it.  Now she does not cook at all.  But her kitchen remind me of Mexico style kitchen's.   With old morcajetes, and cookware that belonged to our grandmother.  Her restaurant style art on the walls.  Not that I want to copy her style, but one day I will have my kitchen decorated in a similar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment