This weeks topic is "What it means to be Jesus' hands and heart to a hurting world."
I think it means to be there for others. Help in any way you can. Financially, pray for them, speak words of encouragement, volunteer to help them with chores or just spend time with them.
Whenever is possible for me, and I see someone in need, I offer to help them. Sometimes I just pray for them from a distance. If I am able to give financially to worthy causes, I do so with a cheerful heart.
There are many people needing our help. So many institutions raising funds to help them. Sometimes you feel you want to help all of them, so you only choose one and pray that others will get help from other people.
At the moment, I am waiting on God to show me, where I could be of help. There is so much I will like to do. But I must wait for the Lord.
This scripture that always comes to my mind is, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widow in their distress." James 1:27
I think of Mother Teresa, how she did just that. She brought in the orphans, and the dying into her home and cared for them. She was not rich, yet she gave love, care and education to the orphans. She aided the dying by allowing them a descent death. She cared for them, until their very last breath. She did not want them to die out in the streets abandoned by the society.
There is another group that is crying out for help. The youth of our cities. So many children and young adults seeking love and acceptance in the wrong places. This kids are joining gangs, turning to alcohol and drugs, because they are rejected and abandoned by their parents. Other parents have no other choice, because they need to work two jobs and are forced to leave their children unattended.
This children need a safe environment. They need places where they can play, get help with their homework, get fed a descent meal. While their parents are at work, they could be in a safe place. Away from the bad influences. It is sad that youth and even children are getting involved with violent crimes. Risking their lives for pleausure, acceptance in gangs, or for money or drugs. Taking the lives of others for the same reasons.
What can we do to stop this? I live in a neighborhood in which often you hear gun shots late at night. I worry for the safety of my own children. Just before school ended before summer vacations, I heard lots of gunshots near my home. It was the time I usually leave to pick up my children at school. I was so scared. Imagine if I was already coming with my children from school at that same time.
Last night, there was another shooting. Just before 11 PM. I jumped from my bed, and my first thought was my brother. He had left to the gym around 9 PM. I called his cell phone. He was already on his way home. I told him what had happened and told him to be careful. By the time he got home the police were already in the area.
My daughter was also awaken by the gunshots. I told her to pray for God to protect us. Once my brother was safely in the house, I got on my knees and thanked the Lord Jesus, for protecting him. I prayed for all the children in the neighborhood. I asked God to send his guardian angels and protect each one. I am not sure if anyone was hurt from the gun shots. Some neighbors were outside, I heard one say that it happened around the corner. The police were in the area until past midnight.
I continued praying. I knelt down in between the beds of my children and read the Psalms, 91, 23, and 121.
I read from Stormie Omartian's book, The Power of the Praying Parent. Then I lay down to sleep, right there on the floor, next to my children's bed.
Yes, it was uncomfortable, but I wanted to be near them.
This morning everything was quiet in the neighborhood. Not even a trace that something happened in the night. I hoping that no one was hurt. My kids are now in school, husband at work, my brother is still sleeping. And I am here in my home office, finishing this post.
Now join me at Holy Experience, to read what others are sharing on how to be Jesus's hands and hearts to a hurting world.

Rosario
praying from a distance...yes. Looking forward to someday seeing how God answered those prayers. Thanks for stopping by my place today. Blessings.
ReplyDeleteOh Rosario, how frightening. I am so sorry that you live with such extreme stress.I will pray for your safety and the well-being of your family -- as well as for the kids in your neighborhood!
ReplyDeleteWhat a scary thing. I pray for your peace and your safety and for you to know how God wants you to help. I appreciate hearing your caring heart...
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words. Your children are beautiful :)
ReplyDelete