Thursday, May 20, 2010

My prayer journal

This is my 201 post on this blog. Amazing! In a way this is my online journal. I write posts about my daily encounters with God and my relationships. I write about my children and their struggles. I write about my own strugles. Keeping this house as clean and organized is a challenge. Computer time is good at times but sometimes it robes me of time that I could be spending on other activities.

Daily, usually after preparing my husband's lunch for work. I light up a candle, sit on a chair with my bible, journal, and monthly devotional. I also have my rosary close by on a table next to my chair. By now the light of day is coming in through the windows of my living room. The time usually 6:30 AM.

I write in my journal, the date and time. And I began reading the reading for the day. First reading, a Psalm, and a reading from one of the Gospels. The first reading this month is from the book of Acts. The gospel reading come from the gospel of John.

I read each passage, sometimes even twice. If a particular verse, speaks to me, I write it in my journal. After all the readings are read, I read the reflection in the monthly devotional pertaining to a particular reading for that day. I also have a daily missal from 2007 that has the same readings for this year. I also read the reflection in that book. And I meditate on the reflection. What is God saying to me? What does he want me to do? How should I apply this to my own life?

I have been keeping a journal for many years now. I keep all of my journals in a box up in the attic. Ocassionally, I take out one and read some of the pages. It helps me to see where I was then, and where I am now. I get reminded of the many blessings God has provided for me and my family.

My journal is not just for writing down my reflections on the readings. It serves also as my prayer journal. Any prayers that come to me or any prayer request are written in my journal. In a way they are my letters to God. And that is how some of the books in the bible came about. The writers kept journals or wrote letters to other followers of Christ to encourage them on their faith.

Perhaps one day, my journals will be helpful to someone else. Blogging has helped me keep another journal that I am able to share with others. Some of my posts on this blog are inspired by what I write in my prayer journal. Some are inspired by what I read in other blogs.

I pray that what you read on this blog will always be a blessing to you. I pray that my words encourage you and uplift you. I do have weak moments, times when I feel very low in energy and faith. Your blogs help me , I get strenghten by your stories of faith. Thank you for contantly following my posts and for your comments of encouragement.

Today's notes on my journal: "Take courage. " Acts 23:11, "For you will never abandon me (to the world) nor let your faithful servant see the pit. " Psalm 16:10

May the Lord bless you exceedingly, aboundantly, and overflowing.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rosario,
    Your sweet and humble spirit are always a blessing and an encouragement to me. I see Jesus in you--truly I do.

    And yes your journals will be a treasure for anyone who reads them just as your blog is. I am sure of that.

    Love,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete