There is to much darkness in the world today. Our youth is falling into a deep dark trap. The media they are daily exposed, teaches them about things that are not edifying.
How can we as parents teach our children to have faith in God and not believe in all the lies out there? It is sad to see in the news that a man was beaten up by two young men. This man died and now this young men are wanted for killing this man. What makes a person cause another person so much harm?
I hear my own child, who is only 7 tell his sister, "I hate you", and other things that should not be expressed by a seven year old. Where does he get this? I do not want my child to grow up and hurt anyone!
Video games, tv programs, movies, and computer expose our children to so much violence. Some may say, "it is only a game". Well this images and words are absorbed by our child's brain and soon they will be always thinking about it.
I see it in what my child draws in paper. My son is very talented in drawing. But I am concern that most of his drawings show monsters and people shooting each other. Parents should be aware of what kind of media they let their children be exposed to. I have limits on the tv and computer. Anything rated over their age, they are not allowed to see. But if they are over at a friends house, I have no control about that.
Recently we purchased and xbox, a video game machine. They play different games on this machine. As parents, we should be responsible of what our children are exposed. Most of the games have ratings on them. They tell you if they contain any violence in them. And even if they do not have a rating, we should preview the game or movie before we allow our children to see.
Yes, I know that eventually they will come in contact with something out of our home. This is why it is important, to teach our children good things. Teach them good values. Teach them the ten commandments. Show them movies of the Saints. Expose your children to other people of faith. Sit with your child and explain to them that doing good is the right thing to do. And what are the consequences of being bad.
I am not the perfect parent, perhaps I will never be. But I lean on God for guidance daily. I pray for my children, that they will always walk in God's way. I pray that they will always make the right choices. And if they do not, let them know about God's forgiveness.
I am concern for my children's future. And I will try to be more alert in what they are exposed to in my home. I get happy, when I pick up a picture that my son drew and see Jesus, Mary and the angels. He drew the nativity too. This is the kind of drawings, I love to see my child draw. And I will keep as a treasure in my heart.
Jesus is the light of the world. He wants us to spread the light to the world. In Acts 8;26-40, I read today the story of Phillip and the Ethiopian eunuch, a court official. The Ethiopian man was reading a passage from the book of Isaiah. Philip asked the man if he understood what he was reading. The Ethiopian man replied, " How can I, unless someone instructs me?"
The Spirit instructed Philip to go talk to this Ethiopian man. This man was seeking someone to help him understand the word of God. Philip helped the man by letting him know who Jesus is and as a result the man believed and got baptized.
We can also be like Philip. Follow the guidance of the Spirit of God and help others understand what they do not understand. We can bring someone out of their darkness. And if you do not feel prepare our capable of doing this, pray to God for help. Or just pray for that person. That God will send to the them, the right person that will help them come out of the darkness. It only takes a step of faith. Believe that God can use you.
No comments:
Post a Comment