Thursday, April 29, 2010

Holding on to things

I want to thank you for taking the interest in reading my posts. Lately, I have been quite busy, keeping this house from getting to be one of those houses full of clutter. I have been watching a few of those hoarding reality programs. I do not want my house to look like that, or my children ending up the same way. Its scary.

Living like that is a real disaster hazard. Sometimes I get thinking about this problem when I see my kids room and the attic. So much stuff, that we hold on to and not even need. What is the purpose of us holding on to things?

I did some work in the attic, and I did separate some clothes and things that I will be taking to charity. I organized all of my christmas decorations in their boxes and some of the window linens all in plastic bins. I do use most of this items at least once a year. But I have so much more things that I do not use. Like a bin full of porcelain dolls. I wanted to display them in my living room but I no longer have a place for them. We got rid of the huge media cabinet that had space for many things.

When I merged my kids rooms, I had to take most of their toys up to the attic. Now I have bins of toys up in the attic. My craft area, that I had recently organized is now cluttered with small boxes of things because I needed the shelfs that were holding them to use in another room.

Our attic is quite big. And I know that with determination, time, and patience I can get it all organized and clutter free. I just have not had the time to do this. I spend most of my time in the other living areas that are mostly used on a daily basis. The attic has now become what others might use their garage for, storing stuff out of the view of guests.

I know that I can do it. I did it once before. But the kids had each their own room and lots of space for their toys and other things like desks, bookshelfs,and media storage. Now that they share rooms, I had to simplify what they keep in it. It is mostly things that belong to my daughter. 1/4 of the room belongs to my son. Not fair, I know. But son's room is now being used by my brother. He only shares the closet with my son.

I am not sure how long my brother will be staying with us, but I do not worry about that. He has been very helpful since he moved in. And the best part is that I get to spend time with my brother and talk. Since I got married, I am the only one that does not live close to my parents. Everyone else, lives next door to my parents house. My brother was staying with them until last year when he got a part time job closer to my house. He was staying with friends before he moved here.

Mom is happy that at least he will be eating a healthy meal more often. If you consider healthy what I make. LOL. Well, I am not a chef, but I think is better, then cup of noodles or sandwiches everyday.

I better get started on dinner. Hope all of you are having a good day. Will be sharing more with you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll chip away at the attic. You are good to have your brother. How nice for everyone!

    ReplyDelete