Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Slowing down and being Still for God

It seems impossible most of the time but once you make up your mind and purposedly do it at a specific time everyday, soon it will become natural. Slowing down on your busy days, stop what you are doing and go sit on a couch, chair or where ever you feel most comfortable to stay still and wait for God. Can you do this?

Since Monday, I have been setting aside some time as early as possible to spend time praying with the rosary, then reading my bible, and finish with prayer and intercession. I want to be as quiet as possible at the end in order to hear God voice. But is not possible. The kids are still at home at this time and even though I have asked them to not disturb me at this time, they act like if they have forgotten, and ask me all kinds of questions while I am trying to meditate on the rosary or on the readings. You might say to me," Why don't you wait till they leave to school, then have your quiet time?" I was doing this before but sometimes I will get right into cleaning or go straight to computer and then forget about quiet time.

Then today, I got a God breeze. I believe God told me this, " You should teach your kids to have their own quiet time with God, reading their bible and writing on their own journal. This way the will stay quiet during the morning and you all have quiet time with me." An Aha moment!

Not only will they be spending quiet time with God, but also have their writing and reading skills put into practice, one extra bonus. Thank you Lord, for this great idea. And would you believe how more quiet they were after their quiet time. No more fighting or loud TV, no more unpreparedness, looking for their backpack or jackets at the last minute. Son even had a good attitude when I asked him to make his bed and pick up the clothes on the floor.

When Son was reading his bible, he read, " Be happy, for great is your reward in heaven." "Mom is it true that my reward is in heaven?", Son asked. "yes", I replied. Son was reading from First Bible Stories, published by Parragon Books Ltd. The bible stories are summarized in short form for young children. The story he was reading was titled Our Father in Heaven.


I hope that my children continue to spend quiet time with God in the mornings and allow me to have my own quiet time with God. I will keep you updated on their progress. Now join me at Holy Experience to read how others are slowing down and staying still for God.

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Your children growing and learning to love the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosario, this is an absolutely beautiful post and I love the "God breeze." Aren't those wonderful and as a former school teacher I think it is awesome that the kids are starting their day this way--and just like God to help the teacher out also with the reading and writing and thinking skills. Precious post! I am SO GLAD that you are a part of this community. You always bless my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosario, I like how you say it: a "God breeze." I want to slow to feel the breezes ...

    Bless you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to add that I borrowed "God Breezes" from Marla Ciley.

    ReplyDelete