Thursday, October 15, 2009

Remembering our Loved Ones

In this picture taken last year 2008
Left to right, Father's parents, Mother's parents, Aunt Raquel,
Collage of Saints, and Mother-in-law


As a Catholic and Mexican American, I have a tradition in my home to remember those family members that have died. Catholics have a feast day on November 1st and 2nd. In most Mexican homes you will see an altar or table displaying photos of those who have passed away and images of patron saints, candles, flowers and other items that were the deceased favorites. I remember that when I was a child, my grandmother will take my sister and I to the cementary to our grandfather's tomb. We cleaned the tomb, place new flowers and pray the rosary. When we came to live here to California that tradition faded away. Grandmother stayed in Mexico and we were now in a different country, with different cultures and traditions. The only person in our family deceased at that time was our grandfather. So I never saw my Mother placing an altar in our home. We did have religious items and a picture of the Holy Supper, but we did not pray the rosary often. Even when my Grandmother passed away, in 1988, I never remember having this tradition in my Mother's home. My dear Grandmother, may she rest in peace, she taught us so many things about our Catholic faith and traditions that she had been taught as a child. Like taking flowers to the Virging Mary in May. Grandmother thought us to pray the rosary. Grandmother also was very devoted to the Child of Atocha. I have told you this lots of times.



My dear Grandmother. Who will visit her tomb and place new flowers on it and pray the rosary? Grandfather is lonely too. We all live so far away. This is why, I do not remember how long ago. I decided since I could not physically go and visit their tomb, that in my heart I will remember them and pray for them. Every Fall, I bring down Grandparents picture which is always hanging on a wall of my home. I place the picture on my prayer altar, also the picture of my Dear Aunt who died of cancer, a picture of my Mother-in-law, and a picture of my Father's parents. Last year I even placed a collage of Saints that are very special to us. St. Faustina, Blessed Margaret Castello, St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Padre Pio, St. Bernadette, St. Therese, St.Rita of Cascia, Venerable Pierre, St. Juan Diego, St. Francis of Assisi. St. Rafqa and St. Joseph Cafasso are not that well known but when I was looking for a patron Saint for our family and read their stories, I felt I should include them in our collage. Venerable Pierre, is not a Canonized Saint yet, but he is in the process of Beautification which means they are waiting to get another miracle in order to continue with the canonization process. His story is very interesting too. He was a very good man who helped the poor. There is a boy who claims he was healed from Scoliosis after his family prayed to Venerable Pierre for intercession.

Blessed Margaret of Castello is consider to be the Patron Saint of the unborn and rejected. Blessed Margaret was deformed and her back was bended, her parents abandoned her when she was a young child because they were ashamed of her. I could go on and on telling you all about the Saints on my collage. They are all special to me in many ways. What they all have in common is their Love for God and they shared with others that love. Most of them sufferer illnesses, rejection from their loved one, but they suffered through that for their love of God. They offered their pains and sufferings, for others to come to know Christ and repent from their sins. Will you be willing to do the same thing? Sometimes I struggle with this issue of sacrifice. How far are we willing to go for Christ? Are we willing to loose it all? Sometimes its hard, we give other things more value then what we give God our father. He is the giver of life. But he also takes away.
Prayer of St. Francis
Lord, make me and instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
where there is injury , let me sow pardon
where there is friction , let me sow union
where there is error, let me sow truth
where there is despair, let me sow hope
where there is darkness, let me sow light
where there is sadness, let me sow joy
O divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen
May the divine assistance remain always with us and may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment