The case for that day was a couple that had been married but was now divorced. The man wanted the judge to make his ex-wife marry him again. The funny part about all this is that they were now living together, after a time being separated. What the wife argued was that he was a better partner being legally divorced than legally married.
When they brought in the witness for the case, the son of the couple was brought in. The judge asked him questions about his parents relationship before divorce and now.
The boy's last statement was,"When I grow up, I'm going to be a divorced man too."
According to the man, he wanted to make thing better for the family, he was sorry for his past mistakes and wanted to remarried his wife. But the judge did not think it was important. Love to her, does not have a need for a legal document.
What? What kind of values are we teaching kids viewing this program. That marriage is not important?! I was really appalled by the judge's thinking in this case.
The judge always ends her program with a quote or statement. And her last comment was that perhaps in the future a legal document will not be needed to express love for each other.
I'm sorry, call me old fashion. But I'm a defender of marriage. Religious weddings are becoming rare and now to say that not even a civil wedding is needed is outrage.
All of our traditional values are slowly becoming extinct. I'm really sad about all this. We have chosen leaders for our country that do not have the same values as we do. How about those Congress women that call themselves Catholic, but have been supporting laws that go against the teachings of the church.
Just recently, I sign up with the United States Catholic Bishops Website in support against that new law "Respect for Rights of Conscience Act." I also sent emails to those leaders in my local area. I have already received a few replies.
A certain Senator wrote this,"I have consistently supported women's reproductive rights and a woman's right to decide which health care options are best for her. I believe comprehensive family planning services can reduce unplanned pregnancies by providing education, counseling, and contraception. "
"A woman's right to decide", If a woman wants to kill her own child, its ok. We have laws protecting animals from cruel treatment, why are we not defending the life of an innocent child?
I'm sorry that I jumped into another issue. But this are very important things to me.
Marriage- "A committed, permanent, faithful relationship of husband wife is the root of a family. It strengthens all the members, provides best for the needs of children, and causes the church of the home to be an effective sign of Christ in the world" (U.S. Catholic Bishops, Follow the Way of Love: A Pastoral Message to Families
If we do not think marriage is important, then what kind of values will we be teaching our children.
Today, I attended a Lent Retreat at my church. And one of the things I learned today was that a strong relationship with God is needed for us to have a strong relationship with others. It should form an equilateral triangle. Between God, Us, and Others. This way when the storms of life hit us, there will be nothing that breaks that bond. But sometimes we are far away from God and others. Or we are much more interested in what the world thinks that what God's wills for us. Sometimes we are very into the church matters, but at home our relationships are not going well. Or we do not treat others good. There has to be balance in everything we do.
And this is my prayer for this Lent season, "that those who are far away from God will get closer to him. That they mend their broken relationships with others. And that we all can form a strong equilateral triangle. In Jesus name. Amen."
No comments:
Post a Comment