Monday, December 21, 2009

Have you heard of Hemin Bread?

A few days ago my friend told me about this bread that is similar to the Amish Bread but that is called Hemin bread, the bread of St. Father Pio.

She had to follow a certain recipe for ten days and then split the dough in four parts. Give three parts to friends and then bake a bread with the fourth part. She asked if I will get one part of the dough. I agreed, not thinking there was anything wrong with it. I was familiar with the Amish bread, as a matter of fact I had done the Amish recipe about three years ago.

I still had a little doubt in me, so I decided to do some research regarding this recipe and its origins. I found out is is not true. Read here. It is not endorsed in any way by the Vatican as the recipe says. It is just like a chain letter that should be ignored.

I know that there are certain chain letters that circulate from people to people. They say that you need to make copies and give to others or something bad will happen to you. I have received them in emails too.

I once heard a priest tell his parish that we should not believe what the letter says. We need to burn the letter and not make copies. And we need to pray to God for protection. Since then, I immediately delete such emails and pray to God for protection. God will not let anything bad happen to me. The letter is just a way to scare people and have them keep circulating a certain curse or fear.

Okay, so is this bread dough meant to do the same thing? It claims to bring a blessing to the family that makes it and share it with others. What should I do? Should I throw it away? I read post from others that tried the recipe and they say that the bread tastes bad.

Should I tell the person that gave me the dough what I found out? She was very convinced this will be a blessing to her family.

I am praying to God for advice. I do not think I should continue sharing the dough with others. What do you think, I should do?

2 comments:

  1. Sister Mary Martha (a nun who keeps a blog and answers people's questions) had a post about Padre Pio bread recently that should help point you in the right direction. Check it out! http://asksistermarymartha.blogspot.com/2009/11/padre-pio-prayer-bread.html

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of hemin bread before. It's just bread. I would not be afraid or too concerned. I would probably tell my friend that it was superstitious and that the only bread the good Padre would endorse is the Bread of Life, the Eucharist.

    Make it or don't make it, just don't perpetuate the silly superstition that comes with it. This reminds me of those "St Theresa/get your wish" emails.... and while they talk about "The Little Flower" they always have a picture of JPII and Mother Teresa attached. Just silliness.

    ReplyDelete