Monday, January 21, 2013

Facing Fears


Saturday  a friend on facebook posted on her status, "Good morning friends! It's Scary Saturday! :D Do ONE thing today that scares you! And tell me what it is! I'll share too..."


The one thing that I have been scared of doing, since I acquired my driver's license, is to drive on highways. I would drive to my destinations on the streets only. Occasionally I will drive on a highway but for a very short distance.  My mother lives an hour away from me.  It was always my dream, to drive by myself, to visit my mother.


Over the past ten years, never had I driven by myself to visit my Mom.  A few years ago, I drove from Tracy CA, to my Mom's  house after a family event.  That was just 20 minutes. It was late at night and Mom and husband were with me in the car.

Saturday, after teaching at the Church's faith formation program.  I told my kids to get there things ready that we will go to visit grandma.  My daughter was very excited but my son was not to happy about the idea. "Who is going to drive us there?" he asked. "Mom is going to drive.", daughter replied.

We did not leave Saturday.  I did not feel 100% sure that I could do this on my own.

I told them, to place their things in the car, and on Sunday after Church we will be leaving.

I prayed at night before I went to sleep.  I asked God to help me in facing this fear.  During Mass, I kept asking God for strength and courage to do it.  There was one song that said that God is in control.  I knew that this was God's way of telling me that he was with me and nothing will go wrong.

After Mass, I got more nervous.  But once I was in my car and merging into the highway, I began praying to God for safety.  I did not call my Mom or let anyone else know.  Just in case I got nervous, I could always get down at the next exit and head back home.  But that did not happen.

My daughter called my younger sister to let them know we were half way there.  I kept driving. Praying all the way.  My kids helping me as my co-pilots. I kept an eye in front of me, and occasionally browsed at the rear view mirrors.

An hour passed since I left my home, and I was now reaching my destination.  That's when my daughter called my Mother that we will be there soon.  I felt like if I had been running a marathon. My family praying and cheering for me all the way.  Everyone cheering at the finish line.  Happy and thankful to God for keeping us safe.

I had conquered my fear! To God be the glory for this great accomplishment.


And today, I drove back home. Another victory!

Here is a post on FEAR that I wrote in September, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment