You Bless us with faith and strengthen us in times of affliction and sorrow... We thank you God.
My sister, her husband, the children and I traveled to El Paso, Texas. We arrived Friday afternoon. Rested, refreshed ourselves and we got ready to go visit my father Guillermo.
I had mentioned in the previous post, that I had gotten a call from my aunt, that my father was very ill. He was taken to El Paso, just a week before. He was living in Utah, all by himself. No family.
Once in El Paso, he was taken to a hospital for further evaluation. Doctors confirmed the diagnosis, Cirrhosis of the liver. Very advanced.
He was released from the hospital and taken to my aunt's home. A hospice will be providing visits from a nurse to check him daily.
When we arrived to the house, he was sitting on a wheelchair at the kitchen table. A very old frail man. He spoke very few words. Most of what he said were words we did not understand. He was now very weak. Some days he was very alert and said funny things. Then the last few days he slept all day and only woke up for his medicine.
The family prayed together. We all gathered around his bed and prayed for him. At times he will make the sign of the cross or will say thank you. Sometimes he will lift his hand up and let us hold it.
The night before he died, I could not sleep. The next morning, I woke up by the voice of my sister saying my name. But she was not in the house. My sister has spent the night at my aunt's house to help her with my father that night.
My children were very tired. I let them sleep a little longer. Then at 9:06 AM, I got a call from my sister's husband to come to the house.
I was already walking out to the door when my cousin showed up to take us there. We were just a few blocks away from the house. When we arrived at the house, my kids and I, my son and I walked into the room. My sister and husband were on their knees praying. My father had his eyes closed and his mouth was open. My son began to cry. I was in shock, I did not know what to do or say. I walked over to the bed and touched my father's arm. He still felt warm.
My father had passed on to another place. He was no longer in pain. No longer suffering. The day was November 21, 2012. A day before Thanksgiving day. Due to the holiday, we had to wait till Friday to have the last viewing of his body at a funeral home.
Many of our relatives came. The rosary was led by a Catholic Deacon. Very beautiful words expressed. The Deacon, invited family members to talk briefly on the life of Guillermo.
My aunt Carmen, the youngest of my father's siblings went up to address us.
She spoke of a man that was a stranger to me. A man who was kind and considerate with those who were less fortunate. A man who was funny and made everyone laugh at parties. A man who will be greatly missed by many.
I gave the "thank you" speech at the end of the service. Thanked our family on behalf of my uncle and aunts. Very few words, but with my most sincere respect and appreciation.
I'm sad yet thankful to the Lord for his mercy. He did not allowed my father Guillermo to suffer much. His last days were filled with love and people who cared for him. He was able to see all those he loved. He was able to meet his grandchildren. And be reunited with the daughters he had not seen in 21 years. I believe he is resting in peace now.
Guillermo's life here on earth is over. But his memory will live on with his daughters, grandchildren, nephews and siblings. He leaves behind, one brother, and two sisters.
Oh Rosario, I somehow missed your post--I am so, so sorry but so encouraged because I feel the "seed" you planted for him has now been harvested. You know the seed of which I speak.
ReplyDeleteI am so honored that I had the privilege of praying for your father and yes, I, too, believe he is resting in peace--how wonderful that God did not allow him to die alone but provided friends and family, especially his precious daughters and grandchildren to be near him as he walked the last steps of his journey here on earth.
Dear, precious, Rosario--you are in my prayers, sweet child--I love you. Dianne